Saturday, May 19, 2012

Orfy's Cowboy Beans

This is my latest and best version of Cowboy beans.


I've modified the original recipe with a few additions after researching authentic recipes.
The Main addition is coffee and tomatoes.

I'm not a cook that weighs things so it's to taste or by judgement.

I used 2 packs (1kg of Pinto Beans, you can substitute for other beans if you wish)
I wanted to used smoked ham hocks but it's difficult get hold of so I got around a pound of trimmings of dried cured smoked bacon. And used two normal ham hocks.


1KG Pinto Beans
2 Smoked Ham Hocks (If plain use some smokey bacon as well)
2 Onions
1 Scotch bonnet Chilli
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 Heaped teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 Rounded teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon course ground black pepper
2 Tins chopped tomatoes
1 Cup fresh brewed ground coffee

I used a quick soak method to start the beans.
Then added the ham and covered with water.
The ham was not done by the time the beans had softened so I removed the ham. Strained the bean and reserved the beans for adding back in later. I trimmed the Skin and fat from the ham and returned the ham to the pot with the liquid. I fried up the bacon onion and spices. When the ham was done I pulled it apart, added the beans bacon and spice mix along with the coffee and beans then simmered for a further hour.

When this cools it does thicken and almost set but it does liquefy again when rewarmed.

Enjoy,
Orfy.


No comments:

Post a Comment