Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chiesa Di Dante E Beatrice (Dante's Church)

Chiesa Di Dante E Beatrice (Dante's Church)

A special place in Florence. A Church Dedicated to Love.


In Florence the are many Grand Churches, Streets and Squares.
One of the best is a little unassuming church down a little side alley. The alley is easy to miss and the church does not stand out. It is Chiesa di Santa Margherita dei Cerchi also Know as The Church of Dante and Beatrice.
I still get a chill when I think of this church. The first time I entered I had to step out side because I welled up. I am not a spiritual person bet something moved inside me. It is a place to sit, relax and reflect. Maybe it is because The church is dedicated to love and the people who visit it and use it have such passion and feeling. For me it is the haunting music, the simplicity, the art and the feeling of love and calmness that I get from this space.
Because of the Attraction of Dante you do occasionally get the odd group come in but they do not stay for long because it is a tiny and unassuming church. They soon go an the peace returns.
Next to the tomb that is said to be that of Beatrice, there is a little basket that visitor leave notes for Beatrice.
Inside the church are several piece of Art. My favourites were a display of child like painting of Pinocchio. They are done in a child like manner (Maybe painted by local children). Then there is Matrimonio di Beatrice Portinari by Raffaello Sorbi.
It would be a great shame to visit Florence and not experience Chiesa di Santa Margherita dei Cerchi. A place to sit in peace on your own or with the one you love.

Via S. Margerita can be found off, near the Lush shop. Also worth a look see is a very small and popular Tripe Shop, they also sell other street food and cups of Chianti at E1.50
It is off Borgo degli Albizzi.
Chiesa di Santa Margherita dei Cerchi (Church of Santa Margherita d'Antiochia)
Via S. Margerita 2 – 50122 FIRENZE


1 comment:

  1. I've just finished reading Dan Brown's latest novel "Inferno" and I see this little plac e features quite heavily in it.

    I'll be interesting to see if it features in any future film.

    Chiesa Di Dante E Beatrice (Dante's Church)

    ReplyDelete